Berries are some of the healthiest foods on the planet! Not only are they loaded with fiber and healthy sugars, but they’re rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and even fatty acids. Few other foods (save for nuts and seeds) contain the same amount of nourishment in such a small package, so adding more berries to your diet is the smart way to go!
Blackcurrants are one of the healthiest berries around. Here are some of the amazing health benefits of blackcurrants:
- Weight loss friendly — Not only are blackcurrants fairly low in calories (compared to some of the other higher-sugar fruits), but they contain a lot of water and fiber. You’ll find that adding more blackcurrants to your diet is an excellent way to control your calorie intake, and you’ll get all the vitamins you need without going overboard on your diet.
- Vitamin C — Like most berries, blackcurrants are packed with Vitamin C. A single 100-gram serving of blackcurrants gives you 3 times the amount of Vitamin C you need in a single day. Considering the benefits of Vitamin C for your immune system, you can see why these fruits are so awesome.
- B Vitamins –– Blackcurrants also contain a lot of B vitamins, specifically B1, B5, and B6. These three are considered the “essential” B vitamins, simply because your body cannot produce them and thus you need to get them from an outside source. All three of these vitamins will play a role in your metabolism.
- Iron –– Blackcurrants contain a good deal of iron, almost 20% of the iron you need every day. Iron plays a role in the production of red blood cells, ensuring that your body can transport oxygen and nutrients to all the muscles, tissues, and organs.
- Anthocyanins –– Like all dark-colored fruits (including cherries, dark grapes, and dark plums), blackcurrants contain anthocyanins, antioxidants that pack a punch in dealing with free radicals and toxins. You get a wide range of carotenes and other antioxidants from blackcurrants as well, making them some of the best berries to eat for a healthier you. In fact, blackcurrants contain a higher ORAC score (antioxidant content) than nearly every other berry on the planet!
- Natural Remedy — You’d be amazed by all the things blackcurrants can do for your health! Herbalists have long prescribed it as a remedy for colds, fevers, and flus. In Europe, it was a popular remedy to treat the symptoms of both PMS and menopause, as the blackcurrants helped to reduce the symptom strength.
- Joint Remedy — Did you know that blackcurrants can help to reduce joint pain and deal with problems like arthritis? The berries contain gamma linolenic acid (GLA), a type of fatty acid that can help to reduce inflammation. For those with arthritis (both rheumatoid and osteoarthritis), the GLA in the berries can help to ease the swelling and prevent arthritis attacks.
- Heart smart –– If you want to have a healthier heart, you’d do well to add more blackcurrants to your diet. The antioxidants in the berries will do more than just combat free radicals and toxins; they’ll also help to prevent cholesterol from clinging to your arterial walls and turning into plaque. When plaque hardens, it cracks, which can lead to blood clots in your arteries–ergo, causing heart attacks and strokes. By preventing the cholesterol from hardening into plaque, you reduce your risk of heart disease drastically.
All these are great reasons why blackcurrants deserve a place on your menu, so it’s in your best interest to look for them at your grocery store today!