Who doesn’t love a banana milkshake, a banana split, or sliced bananas served in a bowl of yoghurt? There are few fruits (technically a veggie, but who cares?) that are as delicious as bananas, and you’ll be amazed to find that it’s one of the healthiest fruits as well!
Here are some of the many benefits of eating bananas:
- Bananas contain tryptophan, a chemical that is needed to help you sleep at night. Tryptophan is converted by your body into serotonin, the neurochemical that promotes sleep AND boosts your mood. Eating bananas can actually help to fight depression!
- Bananas are a great source of natural sugar, but the kind that your body can easily digest and distribute without affecting your blood sugar levels. Eating bananas before a workout can help to fuel your muscles for the exercise to come.
- Bananas are loaded with potassium, one of the two electrolytes that play a central role in your body’s overall health. Bananas will help to reduce your risk of muscle cramps, and will even prevent the accumulation of sodium in your body.
- Bananas can actually help to reduce the strength of PMS symptoms–both the cramps and the irritation. You can boost your mood by eating a banana, and you’ll find that the fruit offers relaxation benefits as well.
- Bananas are a good source of iron, which is needed in order for your body to produce new red blood cells. Those red blood cells carry oxygen and nutrients to your muscles, organs, and tissue, so eating more bananas will help to improve your circulation and enhance nutrient uptake. You can even reduce your risk of anemia thanks to bananas!
- Bananas are loaded with healthy fiber, which serves as a sort of scouring pad to flush out your intestines. The insoluble fiber in bananas will get rid of the waste material clinging to the walls of your intestines, ensuring that your digestive tract functions properly.
- Bananas can help to reduce your risk of both heart attack and stroke, thanks to the fact that they are rich in potassium. Potassium is needed to reduce sodium levels, so eating more bananas is a great way to counteract high blood pressure and fight heart disease.
- Bananas contain pectin, the same powerful fiber that is found in apples. Pectin helps to chelate heavy metals and toxins from your body, and the detoxification of your internal organs will improve overall body function.
- Bananas act as a sort of prebiotic, feeding the beneficial bacteria that lives in your intestines. The enzymes in bananas help your intestines to absorb nutrients more efficiently, and you’ll stimulate the growth of gut bacteria. Basically, bananas are great for your digestive tract!
- Bananas contain a special sort of fiber that will help to reduce constipation and increase the motility of your bowels.
- Bananas can help to fight GERD and acid reflux. They serve as a natural acid-reducing food, helping to prevent your stomach from producing too much acid. By cutting acid production, you reduce discomfort and pain after heavy meals.
- Bananas increase your body’s ability to absorb calcium, which can do wonders for your health. Not only will it protect your eyes from cellular degeneration, but it can prevent kidney cancer and contribute to healthy bone growth.
- Bananas actually soothe your digestive tract, acting as an anti-irritant and reducing swelling and irritation in your bowels. They can help to replenish electrolytes lost when suffering from diarrhea, and they can be eaten without affecting stomach ulcers.
- Bananas help you to control your blood sugar levels, and they provide you with the natural sugar you need to feed your sweet tooth.
Wow! A lot of great reasons to eat more bananas, right?