- 10 Crazy Low Calorie Foods to Eat A Lot of Today
- Sugar and Mental Health: What You Need to Know
- How Many Calories Do You Really Need?
- 9 Foods to Shut Down Your Appetite
- 10 Wonderfully Low Calorie Foods
- A Smart Weight Loss Tool: Calories on Nutritional Labels
- 7 Awesome Ways to Burn 1000 Calories
- Why Counting Calories is Bad For You
- Health and Fitness Tips for Living
- Creating a Weight Loss Program
- Workouts to Burn More Calories than Jogging
- Busting 5 Food Myths
- Eat Your Way to a Rockin Six Pack Abs
- The Truth About Hydrating
- Calories to Lose a Pound of Body Fat
- See More Articles
How Many Calories Are in a Banana?Bananas are so much more than just monkey food! Not only are bananas one of the tastiest fruits around, but they're also one of the healthiest. They're packed with fiber, slow-acting carbs, and a whole lot of minerals and vitamins. If you want to be healthy, you DEFINITELY need to add more bananas to your life. Here is a table that shows how many calories you get from your average banana:
|Banana||weight (grams)||Protein (grams)||Carbs (grams)||Fat (grams)||Banana Calories (calories)|
|Banana Medium weighed with skin||130||1.1||21||0.27||86|
|Banana Large weighed with skin||170||2||39||0.5||162|
|Banana average flesh only||114||1.4||17.5||0.2||108|
|Banana Milk Shake||100 ml||18||-||-||140|
Not too many calories per banana, right? You can enjoy them without guilt, and you'll be doing your body a whole lot of good with every bite. Why is that?
- Bananas are great for your mood -- Not only do bananas help to regulate your blood sugar (which in turn improves your mood), but it will help you to relax and combat the effects of stress in your body. You'll find that bananas also contain a lot of tryptophan, a chemical that your brain converts into the happy-time neurochemical serotonin.
- Bananas are wonderful for your heart -- Bananas help to keep your blood sugar levels under control, reducing your risk of diabetes, but they can also help to reduce your risk of hypertension, stroke, and heart attack. It's all thanks to their high potassium content, which eliminates excess sodium from the body. Considering that heart disease is the #1 killer in the world today, you can see why bananas are so awesome for your health!
- Bananas are great for your workouts -- If you want a quick boost of energy to get through your workout, down a banana about 30 minutes before hitting the gym. Not only will bananas help you to have the calories to burn, but the potassium in the banana will protect you from muscle cramps. You can keep your blood sugar levels steady during the workout, making it easier for you to get through it without running out of steam.
- Bananas are important for your overall health -- You have no idea how many things bananas do to keep you healthy. They can reduce anemia, eliminate toxins from your bloodstream and liver, stimulate the growth of bacteria in your intestines, normalize bowel movements, provide relief from acid reflux and GERD, reduce PMS symptoms, reduce swelling and inflammation in your body, and strengthen your nervous system.
- Bananas are wonderful for your immune system -- Bananas help your body to produce more white blood cells, the ones responsible for hunting down and killing any invaders in your body. But they also help you to produce more healthy bacteria in your intestines. Considering that the majority of the invaders come in through your mouth, you can see why healthy gut bacteria are so vital to having a strong immune system. Thanks to bananas, you can fight off just about any invader that may threaten your health!
- Bananas are a digestive aid -- Not only can they stop stomach acid from burning your esophagus (acid reflux), but they will help to settle an upset stomach and balance out your digestive tract. They can help to cure both diarrhea and constipation, and they stimulate the growth of the bacteria that break down food in your intestines. You can eat bananas even if you have peptic ulcers in your stomach, and the bananas will help to relieve the pain of those ulcers. They will even repair the lining of your stomach and protect it against the corrosive gastric acids that are causing the ulcers in the first place.