- How Much Exercise is Good For Your Health?
- How to Be Safe at Newly Reopened Gyms
- Do You Need an Exercise Ball in Your Life?
- Try This Fun and Unique Deck of Cards Workout Routine
- 6 Tools to Help You Recover from Sore Muscles
- 9 Simple Household Items You Can Use as Home Gym Equipment
- How to Safely Exercise Even in a Pandemic
- Do You Get Exercise Headaches? Here’s What to Do…
- Why Your Workout May Be Causing Weight Gain
- Running for Weight Loss: How to Do it Right
- Your Ass Kicking Home HIIT Workout
- Stop Thinking of Exercise as a Weight Loss Tool
- Why Free Weights are Your New Best Friend at the Gym
- How to Change Your Workout As You Age
- How to Gain Muscle the Easy and Effective Way
- See More Articles
Start a Basic Home Step Workout
Stepping might seem like something you don’t expect is a great way to lose weight, but in fact aerobics instructors have used it for years. With just one step, not even an entire flight of stairs – you will be able to get your heart rate up and burn those calories.
You can buy a step at almost any sporting goods store, and it will last for years. Alternatively, if you have a step or two in your home – you don’t even need to go out and buy one.
The process of stepping is quite simple, and it’s great for toning thighs and buns. As a basic stepping routine, all you need to do is get your feet moving.
To begin with all you need to do is:
- Start with both feet on the ground
- Place your left foot on the step
- Place your right foot on the step
- Put your left foot back on the ground
- Put your right foot back on the ground
There are many more involved stepping programs, but this basic one is more than enough to see you through to some great weight loss. It’s important to remember that weight loss occurs when we burn off more calories than we consume. Therefore, if we exercise more (by stepping, for example) we start burning off more calories.
To get your heart rate going nicely and to burn calories, aim at the beginning to step for around twenty minutes. Grab a towel, some water and put on your favourite music. Try and let all the worries of the day disappear as you concentrate on just stepping up and down, within a few minutes you’ll start to feel short of breath and if all goes well you should start sweating. This is a good sign.
Of course, with any exercise, it’s always important to warm up and stretch before going full out – this reduces the risk of injury. Remember that injury means you can’t exercise, which makes it harder for you to lose weight.
Once you have been stepping for a while you can start adding in variations to your routine, such as jumping straight onto the stop with both feet, then jumping back to the ground, or jumping with just one foot. Change it up and stretch yourself and your abilities.
As with any attempt to lose weight, it’s not just enough to exercise like mad (although that will help). Unless you are eating a healthy, balanced diet – you will never see the results you wish to achieve.
It’s important to remember also that the most successful attempts at weight loss are those where we change our entire lifestyle. It’s not enough to just exercise, or just try and eat better. If exercise and healthy eating become a way of life, there is nothing we can do but lose weight.