Thanksgiving can easily add on the calories and after a few hours of eating, drinking, and socialization, it is not uncommon to consume more than 2000 calories. Taking your time and eating right during Thanksgiving is important for both your guests and the chef.
Here are few substitutions that can be made in your cooking:
- 1 egg — instead use 2 egg whites
- sour cream – instead use low fat plain yogurt or low fat sour cream
- fried onions bits – instead use try sautéing onions in a little bit of butter and garlic
- ice cream – instead use frozen yogurt
- heavy cream (not for whipping) – instead use a 1:1 ratio of flour whisked into non fat milk or light cream (15% or less)
- whipped cream – instead use chilled evaporated skim milk or low fat Cool Whip
- cream of mushroom – instead use fat-free cream of mushroom
More tips to keep from gaining weight this season:
Cut out excess fat and sugar by just lowering the amount used in a recipe. Do you really need 4 tablespoons of oil for those roasted vegetables? Instead, use half that amount to 2 tablespoons.
Instead of making gravy from the turkey pan and using all the fat, separate the fat and liquid by using a fat strainer cup. This will leave the delicious juices in and the fat out.
You can also opt for a low fat gravy by combining:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion and celery
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- dash of black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
Heat the butter and add the onions and celery. After turning golden brown, add the flour until you get that nutty smell. Add the chicken broth and milk and continuous stir to avoid lumps. Last, add salt, pepper, and a bay leaf and let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until thick enough to coat a spoon.
For mashed potatoes, use low fat skim milk and light sour cream along with salt, pepper, and a dash of rosemary to make a light but fluffy side dish. Even make a healthy potato gratin without all the fat and calories.
Adding flavor without the fat is the best way to have a healthier Thanksgiving. Bay leaves, French herbs, pepper, chili flakes, rosemary, thyme, allspice are wonderful additions to make a meal more flavorful without needing more fat.