- 8 Foods to Reduce Stress and Anxiety
- The Many Amazing Health Benefits of Peaches
- Your Guide to Buying Healthy Supplements and Vitamins
- How to Eat Healthier and More Sustainably
- The 7 Best Health Benefits of Coffee
- 10 Foods Loaded in Vitamin C to Boost Your Immune Health
- What You Need to Know About Healthy and Unhealthy Grain Products
- How to Beat the Bloat: 8 Foods That Combat Bloating
- 9 High Antioxidant Foods You Should Eat Today
- 7 Immunity Boosting Foods to Keep You Healthy
- The 7 Best High Fiber Foods to Add To Your Meals Today!
- The 7 Best Pre-Workout Foods
- 6 Nuts You Need in Your Diet Today
- How to Do a One-Day Detox Right
- 7 Vegan-Friendly Muscle Building Foods
- See More Articles
Use Negative Calorie Foods to Lose Weight
The term ‘negative calorie foods’ is a little misleading, but basically it means any food that costs your body more energy to eat and metabolize than calories you get from it. A famous example of this is celery, but this is neither the only nor the best negative calorie food.
You should never try to eat a diet consisting of only or mostly negative calorie foods, as this will quickly make you deficient in protein, carbohydrates and many vitamins and minerals needed to maintain a healthy diet. However, you can add them to meals to lower the calorie count of a meal, or use them as healthy, guilt free snacks. Here’s what you need to know about negative calorie foods.
Negative Calorie Fruits
While some fruits can be high in sugar, many of them can be considered to be negative calorie foods when eaten as part of a healthy diet. You should use these as snacks wherever possible, as they will make you feel full but won’t cause you to put on weight. Here’s a list of negative calorie fruits:
Negative Calorie Vegetables
Negative calorie vegetables don’t make as great snacks, but they can help you to lose weight fast as part of a healthy diet. Where possible stock up on these and add them to all of your meals. This will ensure that you manage to get your daily intake of vegetables, vitamins and minerals, and also lower the calorie content of the meals you do eat. This doesn’t mean that these are the only vegetables you can eat, but remember that some vegetables are actually quite high in calories. A list of negative calorie vegetables includes:
- Celery - Stalks & Root
- Garden Cress
- Green Beans
- Green Cabbage
- Lambs Lettuce
As you can see, that’s quite a list. In there you should be able to find a few veggies that you like to cook and use regularly. Adding these to your meals is a great way to use negative calorie foods to lose weight.
More tips to help you use negative calorie foods to lose weight:
1. Always keep some negative calorie foods on hand in the refrigerator, in your handbag or in your car to snack on in case you get hungry. You’ll get the feeling of having had a snack, but you won’t be putting on any weight!
2. You can make a soup from the negative calorie vegetables above. As long as you don’t add any butter or cream you’ll have a nutritious meal that actually helps you to lose weight. Makes a great lunch on a cold day!
3. Calculate how much negative calorie foods take away from the calorie content of your meals, and add this to your meal planner.