- How to Snack to Lose Weight
- 7 Clean Eating Tips to Lose Weight
- 7 Healthiest Leafy Greens to Add to Your Diet
- Healthiest BBQ Foods to Enjoy This Summer
- Awesome Ideas for Healthy and Easy Meal Prep
- Should You Try a Vegetarian Diet for Weight Loss?
- What You Need to Know About Elimination Diets
- Quick and Easy Meal Prep Ideas
- 6 Healthy Eating Hacks for a Better Diet
- 5 Simple Tricks to Reduce Overeating
- 6 Quick and Easy Meal Prep Secrets
- How to Choose the Right Pre-Workout Snack
- 7 Eating Hacks to Help You Diet
- What You Need to Know About Raw Sprouts
- 6 Simple and Effective Recipes for a Healthier Day
- See More Articles
Pros and Cons of The Lemon Juice DietThe lemon detox diet was conceptualized as a detoxification diet intended to cleanse the body of toxins over a 2-week period. However, in the modern day the diet has evolved into a rapid weight loss plan endorsed by celebrity culture and undertaken by those wanting to drop two or more jean sizes in a short amount of time. This kind of crash diet should always be researched extensively before you decide it is the right choice for you. These diets are not for everyone and certainly not be to used long term. The lemon juice diet is often referred to as the lemonade diet because it comprises a set of ingredients which mix together to create a homemade lemonade drink.
A typical lemon juice diet drink will include the following ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of organic maple syrup
- 1/10 of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 – 2 cups of mineral water
Pros of the lemon juice diet
- Lemon juice is very high in vitamin C and will therefore boost the immune system and simultaneously detoxifying the body, expelling harmful toxins.
- Lemons are rich in citric acid which will stimulate stomach acids and enzymes, aiding digestion and assisting in the repair of digestive problems.
- Undertaking the lemon juice diet will cause rapid weight loss of up to 3-4 pounds a day over the course of the first 4 days. This will average out to around 1-2 pounds a day over the following 10 days.
- A lemon juice diet will balance your blood sugar levels resulting in fewer headaches, less fatigue and less irritability. This will also mean less weight gain because insulin – which promotes fat storage – will be at lower volume in the body.
Cons of the lemon juice diet
- Reported side effects of the lemon juice diet are lethargy, lack of concentration, fatigue and headaches. Side effects can be attributed to both the draining of toxins from the body and calorie restriction.
- The lemon juice diet is primarily an intestine/colon cleansing diet, not a weight loss diet – therefore it may not produce the desired long term results.
- Rapid weight loss is not conducive to good health. There is a high percentage chance your body will go into fat storage mode and you will gain weight quickly again after finishing the diet.
- Going from a routine solids diet to a strict fluid diet isn’t the best way to detoxify the body or to lose weight. Detoxification should comprise a varied diet of fruits and vegetables. Weight loss should be achieved through a balanced diet of lean meats, good fats and complex carbohydrates, coupled with regular exercise.