Nuts have had a rough go of things over the last few decades of fad diets and purges! Their high calorie and fat content make them a target for people who are trying to slim down. The average fad diet will tell you to cut out nuts, as they aren’t the “healthy” option for weight loss.
What a load of garbage! Nuts aren’t just healthy–they’re some of the healthiest foods around! Where else can you find such a concentrated dose of fiber, protein, carbohydrates, unsaturated fats, vitamins, and minerals?
Here is the nutrition you can expect every time you eat a handful of nuts:
As you can see, nuts are a bit higher in calories and fat than your average “diet food”, but everything in those nuts are 100% healthy. You’ll find that each type of nuts offers its own unique health benefits:
- Walnuts — Walnuts contain more antioxidants than any other type of nut, making it an amazing food to help you fight cancer, heart disease, and the effects of aging. But the Omega-3 fatty acids in nuts will reduce inflammation in your body, and the manganese they contain can help to reduce your symptoms of PMS.
- Cashews –– Not only are cashews the tastiest of the nuts, they’re also some of the best for your brain! Cashews are packed with magnesium, which is needed by your brain. Magnesium keeps your memory sharp and reduces age-related brain decline. As a bonus, they’re also rich in iron and zinc, which keeps your immune system working and your blood delivering oxygen and nutrients around your body.
- Brazil Nuts –– Few other nuts contain as much selenium as Brazil nuts, which give you 100% of your daily value of this vital antioxidant. Selenium can reduce your risk of cancer, protecting your body from breast, prostate, and bone cancers, among others.
- Almonds –– Want to boost digestion? Add more almonds to your diet! The fiber in almonds will do amazing things for your gut health, and will even help to speed up your weight loss efforts. As a bonus, you can get your bad cholesterol under control thanks to these little nuts.
- Pistachios –– Eating pistachios is one of the best ways to slim down, thanks to their low calorie and high nutrient content! The fact that you have to shell the nuts before eating them makes it easier for you to control the pace of your eating, preventing you from going on an all-out nut rampage! Plus, they contain special tocopherols that fight cancer, as well as protect your lungs specifically. You also get a healthy dose of Vitamin B6, which is vital for your immune health, your mood, and overall health.
- Pecans — Keep your cardiovascular system healthy by adding more pecans to your diet. Pecans contain a lot of antioxidants, which help to scavenge free radicals that could damage your heart and cause problems with your circulation. Pecans can also help to cut back on LDL cholesterol by up to 33%, and the Vitamin E in pecans will help to slow degenerative neurological disorders.
- Macadamia Nuts –– If you’re looking for unsaturated fats, you’d do well to check out Macadamia nuts. These nuts contain more unsaturated fat per serving than any other nut, making them especially useful for reducing your cholesterol and protecting your heart. You can even get your triglycerides under control thanks to these awesome little nuts.
While nuts may be higher in fat and calories than other foods, that doesn’t make them any less healthy! In fact, if you want to live a long and healthy life, you’d do well to add more nuts to your diet.