- 9 Foods to Shut Down Your Appetite
- 10 Wonderfully Low Calorie Foods
- A Smart Weight Loss Tool: Calories on Nutritional Labels
- 7 Awesome Ways to Burn 1000 Calories
- Why Counting Calories is Bad For You
- Health and Fitness Tips for Living
- Creating a Weight Loss Program
- Workouts to Burn More Calories than Jogging
- Busting 5 Food Myths
- Eat Your Way to a Rockin Six Pack Abs
- The Truth About Hydrating
- Calories to Lose a Pound of Body Fat
- Healthy Foods Way Too High in Sugar
- Food for Weight Loss
- Are Sports Drinks Dangerous For Your Health?
- See More Articles
The Food Lover's DietWith so many diets, cleanses and other more or less unorthodox weight loss methods out there, which mostly work on depriving you of certain foods, the Food Lover's Diet has increasingly become one of the most popular nutritional strategies for weight loss. In fact, it is promoted as the "no-diet" plan. The main tenets of the Food Lover’s Diet are pairing up the appropriate foods and eating every few hours. According to its creators, a company called Provida, you can expect to lose an average of 3 lbs a week while following this diet plan.
Food Lover's Diet 101: The Basics
The core feature of the Food Lover’s Diet is that dieters are taught to distinguish between the different types of carbs, and are guided to always pair them with the right amount of lean protein. The reason behind this strategy is that by choosing the right food pairings, it is believed that your metabolism will increase in speed naturally helping you burn more fat than you would by eating foods the way you usually eat them.
Phase One: The Metabolism Makeover
You will start off your diet following the 21-Day Metabolism Makeover. During this time, you will be expected to embrace other healthy habits that are complementary to maintaining a healthy diet, such as not skipping breakfast, drinking enough water, getting a sufficient amount of sleep, and eating enough foods that are rich in fiber. You will be allowed to eat three meals a day and have a snack every two to three hours, along with plenty of water.
The Permitted Foods
Similar to many other weight loss programs, you will find that protein is the foundation among the allowable foods. Counting calories is not a part of this diet, but portions are controlled and foods have to be paired based on the guidelines of the diet plan. In the Food Lover's Diet, the preferable recommended foods from the most preferable to the least are as follows:
1. Lean Protein: poultry, fish, eggs, low-fat dairy
2. Fast Carbs, such as pasta, bread rolls, apples and dried fruit
3. Slow Carbs, such as legumes, carrots, strawberries
4. Free Carbs like cabbage, cauliflower, celery
5. Fats: peanut butter, all cheeses, nuts, butter and salad dressings
According to the Food Lover's Diet, it is important to avoid white flours, alcoholic beverages, sodas, sugar and highly processes and artificial foods. Limited amounts of tea and coffee are permitted. After passing Phase 1 of the diet plan, you will be allowed to have foods from the previously forbidden food list in moderation. However, you will be encouraged to follow the plan's recommended food pairings.
The Food Lover’s Diet Considerations
As with any new diet or weight loss program, it is advisable to talk to a licensed healthcare provider before making major changes to your dietary or fitness routine, especially if you are taking prescription medication or have an existing health condition such as diabetes. When following any weight loss plan, make sure you are consuming the recommended amount of daily calories, vitamins, and other essential nutrients. Consult with a nutritionist for further guidance.