There is no need to starve yourself or walk around depressed all day in order to lose weight. There is a regimen that you can follow that will cause excess weight to fall off easily and you won’t have to feel hungry. This miraculous regimen is called the Raw Food Diet.
What is the Raw Food Diet?
The Raw Food Diet basically consists of eating foods that haven’t been cooked, microwaved, processed, genetically engineered, irradiated, or exposed to herbicides or pesticides. It is believed, by proponents of this dietary lifestyle, that cooking eliminates many of the vitamins in food and almost all of the nutrients in plants that are essential to lose weight and reach optimal health. Additionally, those who follow this plan typically consume about about half of the calories that they would eating foods that are cooked.
On this diet you will eats lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, sprouts, and nuts. Grains, beans and lentils are also acceptable. Fresh squeezed vegetable and fruit juices, and herbal teas are also consumed as a regular part of a raw food diet.
Hunger is generally not an issue on this diet because most of the foods recommended are higher in fiber so they take longer to digest allowing dieters to fill full longer. Additionally, since many of those foods and beverages have low to no calories, you can eat or drink as much as you want.
When embarking on the Raw Food Diet, there are four types of food that you should consume that will put you on the road to success with your weight loss goals.
- Raw: Examples of raw food dishes include: sashimi, cold cured fish, raw sheep cheese, raw nuts and seeds, raw fruit, dried vegetables, raw cucumber soup, sprouted breads, raw cakes, smoothies, and cold smoked meats
- Organic: These types of plant-based foods contain more nutrients and alkalizing minerals than conventionally grown foods because they are grown without the use of harmful pesticides and other toxic chemicals. Likewise, organic meats are free of harmful antibiotics and additives.
- Alkaline: An acidic body environment is an unhealthy one more likely to develop disease. However, when the body has plenty of alkaline pH, it’s easy to achieve long term weight loss. All herbs and green vegetables are alkalizing. Fruits are either neutral or slightly acidic. Nuts and seed are slightly acidic. Examples of alkaline foods are: spinach, kale, parsley, basil, garlic, kelp, spirulina, and shiitake mushrooms so make sure to eat these choice regularly. Everyone’s alkaline diet is not the same; to make sure that your diet is, you can test yourself daily using pH test strips.
- Delicious: The only way to succeed on the Raw Food Diet is if you find your food to be delicious. Since you will be preparing the majority of your foods at home, the responsibility falls on you. Therefore you must make sure to get the freshest ingredients possible and find a selection of natural herbs and spices that you like so your food can taste its best.
As you can see, you are only restricted by the way that raw food is prepared; the variety of foods remains essentially the same.
Choosing Your Raw Food Diet
There are many variations of the Raw Food Diet because it is highly open to interpretation. There is however, one rule that remains the same; the majority of the food ingested will be plant based and can never be heated above 115 degrees Fahrenheit.
Important Things To Keep In Mind
- A raw food diet can be a little expensive because organic foods tend to cost more than conventional ones. Additionally, you will have to buy a blender, food processor, and a dehydrator.
- Raw food diets aren’t convenient because many restaurants do not cater to this diet so you will have to do your research when eating out. Additionally, a raw food diet often requires a lot of preparation like blending and dehydrating ingredients.
- When shopping for foods, the best bets are the organic or raw food grocery store.
- You will lose weight if you follow the rules. Studies have shown that those who follow the raw food diet will eat few calories and weigh less than other types of dieters.
- Although the raw food approach mainly deals with your diet, you should still remember to exercise to lose weight. The more you move, the faster you will see the pounds drops off. It is recommended that adults get at least 2 hours of moderate intensity exercise a week.
Considerations. Remember to talk to your healthcare provider before making any changes to your diet or exercise routine. This is especially important if you have an existing medical condition, take medication, or struggle with obesity. The Raw Food diet may not be suitable for everyone. People with digestion problems may find it more difficult to digest raw food.