Ten Facts on Losing Weight
- Exercise: Cutting out mostly fat intake alone doesn’t guarantee weight loss success, it’s possible to still store fat if you consume too carbohydrates at each meal.
- Drink Water: Drinking water throughout the day can help revitalize the body’s cells and enable them to operate more efficiently giving you more energy for exercising to burn off fat.
- Change exercise routine: As we lose weight, it becomes harder to lose even more until eventually we hit that dreaded plateau. For this reason, we should be changing exercise routines and diets on a regular basis in order to adjust for those physiological changes!
- Do not focus on your weight: Using the scales in order to monitor progress is one mistake many dieters make. They place too much emphasis on losing weight over losing body fat. You should concentrate on losing body fat and try to maintain lean body weight. When this happens our body composition changes, leaving us lean, shapely and fit. With an increased metabolism it enables us to keep the fat weight off for years to come!
- Make it fun: The secret to keeping up regular exercise is to make it fun rather than seeing it as a chore that must be done. The trick is to take up an activity with a friend, maybe tennis, swimming or bowling. This can be good for both, as one can motivate the other at difficult times when you feel drained.
- Cut out most fat: Fat contains more than twice the amount of calories per gram than protein or carbohydrates. So the reason behind cutting out most fat in the diet is that you will automatically reduce energy intake without reducing food intake too much.
- Use good fat: From a health standpoint, polyunsaturated and unsaturated fats are better for us than saturated fats. Omega-3 are for example important for the body. However, for weight control purposes, all dietary fats and oils contain the same amount of energy, thus you should be looking at reducing them when trying to lose weight.
- Enjoy the natural taste of food: The fats and oils present in most food gives it that satisfying taste. This is probably the reason why our favourite foods are usually the ones that we should avoid when trying to lose weight.
- Focus on your metabolism: Performing intense anaerobic exercises such as weight training, does not burn fat directly but, it could elevate the metabolism for some time after the workout has finished. How much the metabolism rises will depend on the individual and how hard they train during the workout.
- Train smart: To burn fat directly we should be exercising continuously, and at low levels of effort for at least 20 minutes. As a guide, you should be able to hold a conversation during training. If this is not possible, due to heavy breathing, then you’re probably exercising too hard and will not be burning off excess fat for energy. Walking is an example of a good fat-burning exercise.
This entry was posted in Weight Loss
. Bookmark the permalink