There is no such thing as the best single weight loss food unfortunately. We know that weight loss is the result of the energy consumed from various foods within the diet, and that a diet’s total energy must be lower than the energy used by the body.
Some sites peddle the idea that certain foods are the best for weight loss because when these “special foods” are eaten they result in negative calories. However, there is no hard scientific proof to support this theory. If a low calorie food is replacing a food high in calories then it can be considered good for losing weight.
But, consuming a diet exclusively of low or negative calorie foods maybe detrimental to your body’s health in receiving vital minerals and nutrients.
Here are a few tips to recognize weight loss foods :
- Low Fat Foods : Foods that are low in fat are also believed to be the best for losing weight. Fat contains more than twice the amount of energy than carbohydrates or protein, so eating less fat naturally lowers calorie intake.
- High in Fiber Foods : Some other foods that are considered helpful when losing weight are those high in fiber. The fiber helps fill up the stomach quicker causing the individual to eat less, thus less calories are consumed.
- Nutritionally Dense Foods : Foods that are nutritionally dense, especially from some of the B vitamins may help increase energy levels and give an individual more desire to exercise.
- High Water Content Foods : Many foods with a high water content are among some of the best foods to help lose weight. They are often low in calories plus increasing water intake has been shown to benefit weight loss. More about Fat Burning Foods Click Here!
- Fresh Natural Foods : Fresh, natural produce are among the best foods for weight loss, they are often low in energy and low in sodium.
A high sodium intake has been shown to cause slight water retention, thus gaining an extra few pounds of water weight. A low sodium diet can help rid the body of water retention.
Processed and convenient products loaded with refined sugar are NOT the best foods for losing weight. The sugar contributes to “empty calories” void of all nutrients.
All the best foods for weight loss should generally be….
- Fresh natural food High in fiber
- Low in calories
- Low in fat
- Low in refined sugars
- Low in sodium
Many good weight loss foods may also contain…
- High quality protein
- High water content
Examples of some of the best foods for losing weight…
- Wholegrain foods (muesli, oatmeal, wholemeal pasta, etc)
- Baked potato
- Boiled brown rice
- Fresh fish
Read more about the Top Ten Weight Loss Foods.