- The 6 Basic Food Groups for a Healthy Diet
- 7 Vegan-Friendly Muscle Building Foods
- 7 Easy and Healthy Snacks to Pack Today
- Practical Diet Advice from the Experts
- 5 Simple Ways to Cut Back on Sugar
- How the Calories In Calories Out Diet Can Help You Lose Weight
- 6 Simple Rules to Eat Cleaner Today
- 7 Reasons Your Diet Needs More Bone Broth
- 6 Science Backed Diet Rules to Guarantee Weight Loss
- How to Make Your Weight Loss Stick
- 6 Healthy and Low Calorie Lunches to Take to Work This Week
- How Much Fruit Should I Be Eating Every Day?
- Are You Eating Too Much Sugar?
- What is the Coffee Diet and Can it Help Me Lose Weight?
- 7 Quick and Easy Weight Loss Lunches to Pack Today
- See More Articles
What You Need to Know About the Super Carb DietFinding a diet that works for you is VERY difficult—harder than finding a great gym or favorite foods! But, if you can find the right eating plan, you’ll discover that sustainable weight loss isn’t just possible, it’s very probable. A healthy diet can help you to make smart food choices and balance your calorie intake to ensure you’re getting the right nutrients for your body. And from what it seems, the Super Carb Diet is all about balance!
What is the Super Carb Diet?Unlike the low-carb diets that are highly popular these days, the Super Carb Diet doesn’t recommend that you restrict your carb intake. In fact, it provides roughly 30% of your daily calories in the form of carbs—the other 70% to come from 40% proteins and 30% fats. However, the only carbs that you’re permitted to eat while on this diet are “super”, meaning they are very nutrient dense and packed with fiber. This ensures that your body has the fuel it needs while avoiding the sugar rush common with simple, low-fiber carbs.
What are “Super” Carbs?Basically, any carb that has a lot of fiber, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants counts as super. Fruits and vegetables are right at the top of that list, with the focus leaning heavily towards high-fiber veggies and low-sugar fruits. Brown rice, brown flour, ancient grains, oats, seeds, nuts, and any other carbohydrate that is naturally rich in fiber is also highly encouraged. You cut out all white flour, white sugar, sweeteners, sugary foods, and refined products—anything where the nutrients and fiber have been removed. The key is to eat all high-quality carbs!
Why Super Carbs Work
The diet, created by a former Biggest Loser trainer, was intended to provide the balance of micronutrients your body needs while still getting all those important macronutrients as well. Carbohydrates are a critical part of a healthy, high-functioning body, and many people find that they don’t function as well if their diet doesn’t include carbs in some form. By consuming only “super” carbs, you give your body all the quick-acting energy it needs, but it includes just enough fiber that there’s no energy rush or blood sugar spike that causes fat storage. Thanks to the high fiber content of your super veggies, you can eat the carbs without worry about packing on the extra fat.
More Protein and FatsTo make the diet work, you need to supplement your intake of complex carbs with plenty of protein and dietary fat. Meat, dairy, nuts, legumes, fish, eggs, and other high-protein foods are the central component and make up 40% of your diet. Fatty fish, nuts, seeds, avocadoes, olive oil, and other naturally high-fat foods should comprise 30% of your diet—giving you the energy your body needs while encouraging fat burning. Increasing your protein and healthy fat intake helps to balance out your carb intake.
It’s All About BalanceThat’s the secret to the Super Carb Diet: it’s all about getting the right balance of macro and micronutrients. While other diets recommend cutting out or scaling way back on certain food groups, the Super Carb Diet just promotes a balanced intake of food types. As long as you’re eating enough protein and fats, you can still include some carbs in your diet. By ensuring that the carbs you do eat are all super—high in fiber and micronutrients—you ensure that your body has all of the nutrients required to stay healthy. Now that’s what a good diet looks like!