We’ve all heard the term “aerobics” and “aerobic exercise”, but what does it really mean?
Simply put: aerobic exercise is any sort of activity that can be maintained continuously over a longer duration. It is a type of exercise that works the body at the lower end of the target heart rate zone causing the heart and lungs to adapt by becoming stronger.
The word “aerobic” means “relating to or denoting exercise that improves or is intended to improve the efficiency of the body’s cardiovascular system in absorbing and transporting oxygen”. Instead of focusing on the type of exercise that works muscles (anaerobic), aerobic exercise works your heart, lungs, and blood vessels.
What is the best aerobic exercise to lose fat? That’s a tough question to ask!
There are so many different types of aerobic exercise to choose from: running, jogging, walking, cycling, Yoga, Pilates, sports, hiking, spinning, martial arts, and the list goes on. Which you choose will depend on one important factor–your current fitness level.
The beauty of aerobic exercise is that it’s usually fairly low intensity, so you can perform it for longer without getting tired. It pushes your body to the limits of its endurance, but it’s easier to increase muscular and cardiovascular endurance than it is to increase muscular strength. Within a few weeks of endurance training, you can go from not being able to jog more than a few minutes to jogging miles at a time.
Here is a list of some of the best aerobic exercises to lose fat:
- Jogging — This is a classic, and it’s definitely one of the best for overall fat burning and weight loss. It can be a bit hard on your joints, and it’s a form of aerobic training you have to work up to. However, once you can jog, you can often make the switch to running more easily.
- Cycling –– Cycling puts most of the strain on your leg muscles, so it’s ideal for those with upper body limitations. However, sitting for long stretches of time can strain your back and tire your butt. The beauty of cycling is that it’s fairly easy to do outdoors as well as in the gym.
- Rowing –– This is, hands down, the most effective of the aerobic workouts. You’ll find that rowing engages every muscle in your body, and it will give your core a solid workout along with your back, arms, and legs.
- Boxing/MMA/Martial Arts — This is one of the best aerobic workouts to perform, as it involves a lot of movement of both the upper and lower body. Your core is engaged as you move around, and you’ll see good results in your weight loss in no time. However, you need to understand that it can be more of an anaerobic workout as you increase the speed of your punches, kicks, and movements.
- Sports — All sports are good aerobic workouts. However, some tend to be closer to anaerobic than aerobic, particularly sports like football that require short sprints. Basketball, soccer, baseball, and hockey are more aerobic in nature, making them ideal for weight loss and all around enjoyment.
The beauty of most aerobic workouts is that you can perform them without a lot of gear. You may need the right jogging shoes, a pair of boxing gloves, or a ball for whatever sport you’re playing, but you won’t need to go to the gym. You can simply hit the streets and enjoy your aerobic workout wherever you are, no matter what you enjoy!