Being a Mom is a full-time job that is never done. There is never enough time in the day to get all the tasks you’d like completed, done. Finding time to workout is difficult and unfortunately, working out is often a task that gets relegated to another day, simply because Mom has run out of time.
Luckily, there are many ways to sneak a workout in, while still getting other tasks accomplished.
1. Work out while taking your kids to the playground
Your children can run and play and you can still get your workout in, while keeping a watchful eye on them.
- Use the monkey bars for chin-ups and pull-ups.
- Park benches and playground benches scattered throughout the playground can be used for step aerobics.
- Find a shady, grassy spot and do push-ups.
- Race your children through the playground.
- Use picnic tables to lean against and get some tricep and bicep work in.
- Keep a resistance band and jump-rope in the car and use these while the children play.
Going to the playground can turn into an inexpensive gym visit.
2. Clean house and work in a workout
- There are many exercises that can be done while cleaning the house.
- When dusting, do reaches for high objects. Stand at an angle and reach upwards, working the upper back and shoulders.
- Do squats while dusting low objects.
- If ironing needs to be done, stand with legs shoulder-width apart and get a rocking motion going, while pulling the arm holding the iron back and forth. Cooking can be used as an opportunity to weight lifts too. Often, time spent in the kitchen is spent standing around waiting for water to boil. Use cans of vegetables and half-gallons of juice as weights and get a few reps in.
3. Workout while standing in line at the store
Obviously, you are probably not going to want to burst into jumping jacks or other cardio routines while standing in line at the grocery store. However, you can use line standing as a chance to work on your core muscles. Each of these exercises can be done unobtrusively.
- Using the tip of your toes, raise your body up and down on them. This is a way to work in some calf-raises.
- Straighten the spine and breath deeply in and hold for a few seconds and then exhale and repeat.
No one will notice that while standing in line you are exercising. If they do notice, mention what you are doing. You may be surprised by how many women join you.
4. Turn play dates for the children into gym time for the moms
While the children run and play and have fun, get the moms together to participate in a round of Zumba for the Wii. You and the other moms can also pop in a yoga DVD and practice yoga together. Form an exercise group with your friends and take turns hosting your exercise group and the play dates. This is a wonderful opportunity for the women to get their exercise in while the children have fun playing together. If the children are old enough, have them participate in Wii Zumba as well.
5. Split up your workouts
It has been shown that splitting up your workout routine is just as effective as getting it all done at once. Get up 15 minutes earlier than normal and indulge in a brisk walk or a yoga set. If you have an elliptical or treadmill, set aside 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening. You will get your exercise in and still have time for everything else you need to do. Look into the various exercises that can be done at home without gym equipment and find ways to work them into your daily routines.
6. Make an appointment for some “you” time
Talk to your partner and agree on an hour each week that you can have to yourself while your partner takes over the chores of the house and the children. Single with children? Pair up with another single mom and swap children. She gets an hour and you get an hour off. Use this time to go to the gym or take a bike ride or a long walk or jog. There are many exercises that can be done in an hour and you will enjoy having a little time to yourself as well.