By Patricia ZelmEmmart
Pilates is a total body conditioning method of exercise. It was a method developed by Josef Pilates over 70 years ago in Germany. Pilates came to New York City in 1926 and started teaching it to atheles and dancers. His exercises were originally called “Contrology” a term, which he preferred to call it.
Pilates is an exercise that consists of controlled movements, which is to strengthen your core. The core refers to the muscles deep within the abs and back, attaching to the spine or pelvis.
A mat can be used to do the exercises. But there have been a number of different pieces of equipment developed that will help give additional resistance to your routine. Breathing is an important part of Pilates. When you take notice of your breathing, you properly inhale and exhale to maintain control over mind and body movements.
The benefits of doing Pilates:
- You will gain strength through slow and controlled movements.
- Many individuals experience less pain throughout their bodies and are able to move their bodies more gracefully.
- Your body will begin to lose weight and restructure as more muscles are gained from taking the time to practice.
- There will be an increase in energy with a leaner body.
- You will see improvement of your posture because of your stronger core.
Even though Pilates is not an aerobic workout, it could be a big part of your weight loss goals. By combining a balanced diet with regular practices, you will begin to see a change in your mood as well as your body.
To see results of weight loss quicker, it’s important to lead an active lifestyle. This could include walking, running, or another exercise class. By increasing your daily activity your metabolism your body will begin to burn more body fat to give you the weight loss you are looking for.