By Patricia ZelmEmmart
Yoga originated in India over 5000 years ago and is considered one of the oldest exercises in the world. It has become a popular form of exercise in recent years throughout the United States. To practice yoga you don’t need to be looking for something spiritual at all, it can be simply because it feels right for your body. It is a whole body and mind exercise, and is beneficial for all ages.
There are classes for everyone at every level. Starting with the full body practices of Vinyasa or Power Yoga all the to Hatha or Restorative Yoga. There is truly something for all, including individuals who are unable to move very much or are even wheelchair bound. This form of yoga is called Chair Yoga.
The benefits of Yoga are:
- Helps with flexibility for all ages and levels. As a person begins to age they lose some flexibility throughout their bodies.
- Through regular weekly practice it will improve balance, muscle control, and help keep joints moving with less pain.
- As with all exercising it will release endorphins throughout the body to help with mood, and immune system function.
- Helps to lower stress levels and will slow down the production of Cortisol in ones system. This will help with weight loss.
- You will experience more energy and vitality.
- By strengthening the core of the body, posture and walking will be improved.
- Body pains, such as aches and stiffness will significantly decrease.
The body will go through many changes the longer one practices yoga. Yoga tones the muscles through using your own body weight. Yoga provides the body with a solid core and will trim away excess weight. Over time one’s self image will change. This is because you begin to see a leaner body structure in the mirror. However, if weight loss is your main focus it’s important to begin to eat a balanced diet.
This balanced diet healthy eating should include whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean meat along with fat. These are essential foods for our bodies. Many individuals who want to lose weight think they need to cut out fat. Fat is essential to our bodies for absorbing fat-soluble vitamins. These vitamins form our cell walls.
Along with yoga practices and a balanced diet it is important to lead an active lifestyle. Walking, running, or another exercise class is methods to achieve your goals. By increasing your daily activity your metabolism and your body will begin to burn more body fat. This will give you the weight loss you are looking for.