Once upon a time (not too long ago), there was a buzz in the scientific community about foods that caused your body to burn more calories than they provided. Between the digestive enzymes, the fiber, and the nutrients provided by these foods, you could burn more calories than you ate by consuming these foods.
Thankfully, this myth has been dispelled! We now know that there is no such thing as “negative calorie foods”, though there are a few foods that will provide very few calories but A LOT of nutrients. There may not be negative calories in certain foods, but they will certainly help you to burn more calories on a daily basis:
- Celery — With 11 calories per serving and a MASSIVE dose of fiber, celery was one of the foods that got the “negative calorie” myth started. Your body does use a lot of energy to process the fiber and nutrients from the celery, and it’s a filling food that will help you to eat less high-calorie foods–thus promoting weight loss.
- Arugula –– Low in calories (just 4 per cup), this odd-tasting vegetable is one of the healthiest things you can eat. It contains high doses of Vitamins A, C, and K, plenty of fiber, and a lot of the minerals your body needs to function properly.
- Broccoli –– Few other veggies provide you with as much calcium as this amazing food, which only contains 31 calories per cup. You get a ton of fiber, plenty of folic acid, and other antioxidants that can help to combat cancer.
- Brussels Sprouts –– These mini-cabbages are PACKED with antioxidants and phytonutrients, making them one of the healthiest foods around. They contain less than 40 calories in a cup, and their high fiber content makes them very filling.
- Asparagus –– You only get 27 calories in every cup of asparagus, but the veggie makes for one heck of a detox food! It contains a lot of a certain amino acid, which helps to flush liquid from your body. Asparagus is also a metabolism-booster and a wonderful way to combat a wicked hangover.
- Lettuce –– Eat Romaine lettuce, and you’ll never have to worry about gaining weight! With just 5 calories in a single cup of lettuce, this veggie is weight loss-friendly and a wonderful source of nutrients–including folic acid, B vitamins, and manganese.
- Natural Broth — When made from veggies, chicken or beef bones, or soy (miso), broth is one of the healthiest foods around. It’s low in calories (usually no more than 10 in a cup), and the liquid is highly filling. If you make broth from chicken, it contains immune-boosting properties that can help to fight off colds and flus.
- Grapefruit — There are about 80 calories in a grapefruit, but those calories are as nothing compared to the amazing fiber and Vitamin C content of the citrus fruit. Grapefruit juice can help to reduce your BMI, burning fat and promoting a healthy metabolism.
- Cabbage — Cabbage is one of the best veggies on the planet, thanks to its high fiber and low calorie content. Not only does it contain minerals and vitamins, but it’s also rich in cancer-fighting, metabolism-boosting antioxidants. As a bonus, purple cabbage contains the antioxidants that you get from blueberries and blackberries!
- Beets –– Few other veggies contain as many antioxidants as beets, and the delightfully sweet veggie is a brilliant addition to any diet. You get a ton of iron, folic acid, potassium, and antioxidants in every serving, but only 37 calories in half a cup.