The Hampton’s is one of the most popular, elite regions of New York–and the entire East Coast, for that matter. The Hampton’s Diet, however, is a diet ANYONE can try if they want to lose weight the quick, effective way.
It is a low-carb diet, meaning that dieters will need to eliminate the majority of the carbohydrates from their meals. Emphasis is placed on proteins and healthy fats, ensuring that dieters still have plenty of energy while avoiding the carbs that cause weight gain and bloating.
The diet was created by Fred Pescatore, an MD who served at the Atkins Diet Center. Considering that the Atkins Diet is another low-carb diet, it should come as no surprise to find that the Hampton’s Diet follows a similar structure. The book, published in 2004, talked about how Pescatore used the low-carb diet to treat his clients in the Hamptons, helping them to lose weight effectively.
The Diet Principles
The book talks about the primary principles of the diet, which include:
- Eating the healthier foods, not necessarily reducing portion sizes
- Emphasizing the consumption of healthy fish, with salmon and other Omega 3-rich fish being the primary choice
- Eating more nuts as part of a healthy meal plan, as the healthy fats and fiber in nuts go a long way towards improving overall health
- Cutting back on fruits and whole grains, as they are fairly high in carbs
- Limiting veggie intake, particularly the high carb ones
- Eat more seeds to get the fiber and minerals you once obtained via veggies
- Eating “Mediterranean fats”, which are high in unsaturated fats that promote weight loss and a healthy heart
- Taking special supplements to provide the body with extra fatty acids, chromium, carnitine, and other vital nutrients
Basically, you can eat as much fat and protein as you want, but you have to restrict your carb intake to very small quantities per day. If your goal is to lose more than 10 pounds, you can only consume 30 grams of carbs per day. If you need to lose less than 10 pounds, you can eat up to 60 grams of carbs per day.
The book comes with more than 200 recipes you can follow, and you’ll find that there are many delicious food options you can enjoy. Basically, as long as the food is high in protein and/or fat, you can eat it. You just need to cut out the majority of your carbs, and you’ll have nothing to worry about!
Is the Diet a Good Choice?
Sadly, it’s not the best long-term diet to consider. You are eating A LOT of fat every day, and almost no veggies or fruits to balance out your nutrient intake. You may end up suffering from serious health problems if you aren’t very careful of what you put in your body, and you’ll find that whole, raw foods are VERY important for your health.
There is no “magic” formula for fat burning, and this diet alone isn’t going to do the trick. While it may help to prime your body for fat-burning when you exercise, you’re not going to shed those extra pounds just by following the diet. You’ll need to step it up with your workouts and active lifestyle!
The low-carb diet may be effective over the short-term, and it can help you to make healthy food choices. You do get to enjoy all the savory treats you like, so it’s a diet geared to those who enjoy salty food over desserts and sweets. It can be a tasty diet, even if it’s not the healthiest around.