Weight loss isn’t easy, but weight gain surely is! Weight loss is really only possible when you change your diet and exercise habits–burning more than you eat. If you’ve made the changes, you’ll start to see results quickly. Keeping up with your diet habits will help to prolong the results for as long as possible.
If you’ve lost the weight, here are a few tips that will help you keep off the pounds:
- Eat breakfast — Always start the day out right! Eating breakfast will help you to wake up right, making the healthy choices first thing in the day. It will also give you the energy you need to get through your morning.
- Have a small snack –– Hungry between meals but don’t want to cheat? Have a piece of fruit, a slice of whole wheat toast, or a bit of protein. This will help to keep your blood sugar levels high, and will stop you from cheating on your diet.
- It’s all about control –– Controlling your portion sizes is the key to losing weight, and keeping it off as well. Make sure to limit the amount of food you eat at every meal, and you’ll have a much easier time controlling your weight.
- Treat yourself –– Everyone needs a “treat” now and again, something special to motivate them to keep going with their diet. It’s okay to have these treat days on occasion, but no more than once a week. Too many treats can cause you to slide back into your old diet habits–the ones that caused you to gain weight in the first place.
- Enjoy protein –– Protein is not only the key to weight loss, but it’s the most efficient appetite controller. The more protein you eat, the less you’ll be tempted to eat high carb foods. Stock up on protein at every meal, and balance it out with plenty of fiber from fruits and veggies.
- Drink lots of water –– Water will help to fill you up, fire up your metabolism, and keep your body burning calories all day long. If you don’t drink water, you may end up snacking on the wrong foods because your body believes it’s hungry–when really it’s just thirsty!
- Enjoy the food –– Healthy food is never going to be as tasty or enjoyable as the unhealthy stuff–that’s just the way life works! But if you can find healthy foods you enjoy, it will be much easier for you to stick to your diet. Enjoy the healthy foods, and you won’t be tempted to backslide.
- Be realistic –– You’re not going to drop 20 pounds in a week, or 50 pounds in a month. It’s just not how your body works! If you are trying to see results from your weight loss efforts, be realistic with your expectations.
- Find healthy versions of your favorites –– Are you a burger and fries guy, or do you LOVE pizza? Why not try to find healthier alternatives to your favorite treats, like a vegetarian burger on whole wheat toast with zucchini fries, or vegetarian pizza made with a whole wheat crust? You can still enjoy all your favorites, just the healthier versions of them!
- Snack smart –– Snacking on the right foods at the right times of day can keep you going between meals, helping you to avoid temptation and limiting your chances of cheating. For those who are trying to maintain a healthy weight, snacking smart can be the key to success!